Online stores and eCommerce have quickly become the norm over the past few years. More and more companies are expanding the capabilities of their websites and adding eCommerce components to make it easy for their customers to buy goods and services.
However, the truth is that most eCommerce websites fail. They fail to close online sales, and they fail to provide the desired online shopping experience that more and more Internet users are coming to expect. In fact, the overwhelming majority of sites are not properly designed to make online shopping intuitive and easy to use – this is why shopping cart abandonment is a huge issue.
If you want to improve conversion rates and increase sales on your eCommerce website, it is vital that you include these 5 essential components of a successful eCommerce website:
1) Social Media Integration Social media is a big part of everything that happens online today, and eCommerce is no different. Integrating social media into the purchase process not only gives customers the chance to share their purchases with their friends, it also provides them the opportunity to read what others have to say about your brand.
2) A Simplified and Logical Checkout Process Successful eCommerce websites make checking out as easy as possible. This mean you must have an easy to use shopping cart and as few barriers to checkout as possible. Avoid sign ups and verifications, and offer multiple payment options. Learn more about the checkout process in 5 Lessons to Lessen Shopping Cart Abandonment
3) Visible Customer Service Elements / Contact Info Your customers still expect great customer service, even if they are shopping online. Expect your customers to have questions and to request additional information before making a purchase. It is essential to have customer service components such as:
A clearly visible phone number or email
A simple to use contact form
An FAQ page outlining the answers to common questions
4) Trust Marks Your customers will not buy from your website if they don’t trust you – plain and simple. It’s vital that you have trust marks throughout the checkout process to put your customers’ minds at ease and reassure them that your website is safe and trustworthy. Include these trust marks:
Some of the most common trust marks used by websites and recognized by customers are Better Business Bureau (BBB), TRUSTe, VeriSign, and McAfee Secure.
5) Incentives to Buy It goes without saying that successful eCommerce websites are well versed at incenting their users to make a purchase. Just because you have an eCommerce website does not mean that your customers will automatically buy something. You need offer incentives such as sales, special deals, and free shipping. You also need to include an effective call to action to push your customers over the hump when they are on the fence about making a purchase.
Get A FREE Marketing Evaluation with WhiteSpace
Is your business taking advantage of these essential marketing strategies? Get a FREE Online Marketing Evaluation and find out how to improve your website marketing today!
Flickr Photo Credit: by nikoretro
Nolan Wilson Manager/Content Development
Nolan helps businesses plan, strategize and create content to support inbound marketing campaigns. He keeps up with the latest trends and developments in content development and SEO to ensure your content meets the ever-changing standards of Google and is positioned to help you exceed your online marketing objectives.
Let WhiteSpace handle your content so you can focus your time on what you do best – Successfully running your business.