With only so many hours in a day, it's no wonder why many marketers consider Google+ an afterthought compared to other tactics like; regular website maintenance, ongoing blogging, and publishing to major social networks like Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
After all, where do you find the time to cultivate yet another social community, and why would you do so on Google+ if you're not entirely sure it's worth it?
But there's still one reason why even the time-crunched marketer shouldn't ignore Google+ entirely, and that reason is SEO. The bottom line is that Google dominates the search market and has a bias toward Google+ content, so any business looking to boost their overall search engine visibility can't ignore Google+.
Here's what Google+ can do for you:
1) Your business can get additional free real estate in search engines Businesses on Google+ get prime real estate you can't even buy. Google displays information about that brand complete with a "Follow" button so searchers can follow that brand on Google+ right from the search page.
2) You can index more branded content Google indexes public posts from Google+, so every post you publish to the platform increases the chances of your brand appearing in Google's search results. Take a look at the post from Guy Kawasaki that ranked for a term containing "SEO."
3) You can get Google to index web content faster You used to have to submit a form and wait weeks to have Google index your content. Now you can just share web pages to Google+ or click a +1 button. If you want website or blog content to get indexed fast, share it on Google+.
4) Your website and blog content can rank higher in search results Google's '+1' social sharing button allows your site visitors to recommend your content on Google Search and share it on Google+. Even though Matt Cutts denies that +1s lead to higher search rankings – several studies by Moz and Searchmetrics have found that there's at least a strong correlation between volume of +1s and how well a page ranks. The takeaway: +1s can only help, so it's wise to have a +1 button on your blog and lead gen content.
5) Your website and blog content can get higher click-through rates in search Google+ is used to optimize search results with rich snippets, including the popular Google Authorship feature that enables authors to have their Google+ profile photo appear next to their articles to give search results a human touch.
Having an active page on Google+ helps Google index more of your content faster, increasing your chances of getting discovered by potential customers. So, is it worth it? I'd say so, but what about you? We'd like to hear from you.
Get a FREE Marketing Evaluation with WhiteSpace Is your business taking advantage of these essential marketing strategies? Get a FREE Online Marketing Evaluation and find out how to improve your website marketing today!